The students compared rural and urban settlements and observed how settlements have evolved since the Indus Valley Civilization. Using Mumbai as a reference location, students learned about the factors that influence how settlements are formed, the features, patterns, and types of human settlements.
|Enduring Understanding||Human settlements depend on and impact geographical, environmental and economic conditions of a location|
|Level||Middle School (11-14 years)|
|Disciplines||Social Science, Language Arts|
Using Mumbai as a reference location, students learned about the factors that influence how settlements are formed, the features, patterns, and types of human settlements. They compared rural and urban settlements and observed how settlements have evolved since the Indus Valley Civilization. Students worked on individual case studies by researching chosen settlements while learning this unit.
Case Study Analysis:
– Students selected a settlement and create a booklet by on sub-topics learned in class (Features/Function/Factors)
Project Learning Goals
- To learn about natural and man-made factors that influence human settlements
- To learn about different patterns of settlements and influencing factors
- To differentiate between urban and rural settlements
- To identify the functions of a city
- To show how social and economic development positively and negatively impact the area
Scaffolding & Differentiation
- Class divided into smaller groups while delivering content.
- Guest speakers were invited to talk to the students about the history of settlements in Mumbai.
- Provided differentiated worksheets and graphic organizers for features of human settlements and factors that impact human settlements.
- Differentiated assessment – source provided and scaffolded questions.
Students were given a case study on the settlement of Bangalore. Using the source, students were expected to explain the features, patterns, types, and factors impacting the settlement of Bangalore. Based on this, students shared if they would prefer to live in this settlement and supported their choice with reasons.